Main content of the website

  • font sizeA
  • A
  • A

Property Taxes

Property Tax Information

Current taxes are payable, at par, on or before the last working day in September by 4:30pm.

Office Hours are 9:00am to 4:30pm.
Penalty of 1.25% will be added on October 1 and on the first day of each month thereafter, until paid or the time of tax sale. Lands in arrears for more than one year will be subject to tax sale. Arrears that are shown on your tax bill are subject to further penalties e.g. Arrears paid in October must include penalties at 1.25%. 
The effective date for payments made to the RM of West St. Paul will be the actual day of receipt by the RM of West St. Paul. To avoid late fees, mail in a postdated cheque and allow ample time for the payment to reach the Municipal Office or allow 4 to 5 business days for online payments to be processed by your financial institution and the RM of West St. Paul’s financial institution.
For your convenience, there is a dropbox located at the entrance of the Municipal Office for those who are unable to attend during office hours.
Property Tax Payment Options
The RM of West St. Paul has the following methods for paying property taxes:
  1. AT THE MUNICIPAL OFFICE – 3550 Main Street, West St. Paul, MB
  2. BY MAIL - RM of West St. Paul, 3550 Main Street, West St. Paul, MB R4A 5A3
  3. ONLINE - Set up a payment option for property taxes with your financial institution or TelPay, using your Roll number as your account number. Click here to learn more.
  4. TAX INSTALLMENT PAYMENT PROGRAM SERVICE (TIPPS) - This option allows ratepayers to have automatic monthly withdrawals from their bank accounts. For more information on enrollment please click here.
  5. INSTALLMENT PAYMENTS - Payments can be made either by coming into the Municipal Office, by mailing in postdated cheques or through online banking and payments will be credited to the tax account.
Cash, cheque or Interac are accepted. Please make cheques payable to RM of West St. Paul and be sure to write the Roll number on the cheque or present the tax statement when making your payment to ensure that payment is applied to the correct property.
Please note that many debit cards have daily limits on them so verify with your financial institution before coming to the Municipal Office to make your payment.  Credit cards are not accepted.
Click here to see our online payment policy for information on how we will process your payments made through your bank.
NOTE: Please ensure you allow ample time for your online payment to reach the RM of West St. Paul’s financial institution. A good guideline to follow is 4 to 5 business days for processing by your financial institution and the RM of West St Paul’s financial institution.
What period does the tax statement cover?
The tax year is the calendar year and covers the period from January 1 to December 31.
When are the tax statements mailed?
Tax Statements are mailed out early-summer each year.
I didn’t receive a tax statement for the year, what should I do?
It is the property owner’s responsibility to ensure that the Municipality has the correct mailing address.  Please contact the Municipal Office at 204-338-0306, as you must still make your payment(s) on or before the due date to avoid penalty. Failure to receive a bill does not excuse an owner from responsibility for payment of taxes nor relieve that owner from liability for any late penalty payment.
Moving in or out of the Municipality?
It is important that the Municipal Office be advised promptly of any change of ownership or mailing address in order to ensure that the tax statement is properly forwarded to the correct address.
If the property is in the process of changing owners, the person named on the tax statement is responsible for paying the property tax.
If ownership changed after the tax statement was issued, please forward the tax statement to the current owner or return it immediately to the RM office. 
What if there are arrears on my tax statement?
Arrears can be as a result of previous tax bill(s) that were not paid in full. Arrears can also result from unpaid utility (water and/or sewer) invoices and/or outstanding account receivables owed to the RM of West St. Paul for the prior year that have been added to the tax roll.
I believe my tax bill is high, what should I do?
Property Assessment can be appealed. Taxes cannot be appealed. If you feel your assessment is unfair, please discuss it with the Provincial Assessment Branch located at 103 - 235 Eaton Avenue, Selkirk, Manitoba or phone 1-866-262-9786 or 204-785-5092.
The taxes must still be paid on or before the due date to avoid penalties.
If your assessment is reduced as a result of an appeal, any over payment of taxes will be refunded.
What information with regard to my taxes can I obtain over the phone?
The RM of West St. Paul does not have the authority to collect confidential information about a person to verify identity over the phone. It is recommended that you attend the Municipal Office in person, with proper photo identification in order to obtain information required regarding your property taxes.
For additional information regarding property taxes in the RM of West St. Paul please call 204-338-0306.

School Taxes
School taxes are part of the annual property tax bill that are mailed out each year to property owners. The school taxes that are billed and collected by the Municipality are remitted to the Province and school divisions to pay for education.
If you have any questions about school taxes, please call the Seven Oaks School Division at 204-586-8061 or the Interlake School Division at 204-467-8485.

What Tax Credits or Rebates am I eligible for?
Education Property Tax Credit
Whether you own or rent your home, you could be eligible to save up to $525 with the Manitoba government’s Education Property Tax Credit (EPTC). The credit is provided by the province of Manitoba to help cover the school taxes you pay, or a portion of your rent either directly on your municipal property tax statement or through your income tax return.  The EPTC application form is available at the Municipal Office and must be completed and returned to the Municipal Office by December 31 of the current year.
Click here to learn more.
Seniors Property Tax Credit
The Seniors Property Tax Credit is able to be claimed when you file for income taxes with the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA). Tax forms are made available by the CRA each year and will include a section with instructions for claiming the Rebate. Click here for additional information.
Farmland School Tax Rebate
The Farmland School Tax Rebate (FSTR) was implemented to support the rural economy by providing Manitoba farmland owners with school tax relief.
Landowners are required to submit an annual application to Manitoba Agricultural Services Corporation (MASC). Once you are registered with MASC and receive a rebate, a pre-printed application form for the following year will be mailed to you when they become available.  Click here to learn more.